This recipe is amazing: easiest french fries – smitten kitchen.
I have always been intimidated by the idea of making fries/frites at home. It turns out it could not be easier if you follow that recipe. It’s really a case of set it and more or less forget it.
- I used corn oil because of it’s high smoking point. You could use other oils too.
- I used a Dutch oven to make the fries. It keeps the oil from splashing over onto the oven or burner.
- I found a potato the size of a baseball feeds one person. A potato the size of a softball feeds two people.
- I used Yukon gold potatoes.
- I put big flaky salt on the fries right after I fish them out of the oil.
- Regardless of how long the recipe says, remove the fries when they are a brown gold colour. It could be 20 minutes but it could be less.
- Serve hot!