Here are some things I’ve been interested in lately or that I found interesting. By the time you read this, some of them may even be dated, which is the nature of tech blogging!
- New Open-Source Tool Makes it Easy to Tap Into Docker, the Cloud’s Next Big Thing | WIRED – for Docker fans
- Create a modular single-page app with Vue.js and Bluemix, Part 2: Deploy your app in the cloud – I haven’t tried this yet, but if you need such a thing, this might be the way to go.
- What I learned from my son: Minecraft + Bluemix = Epic! – The developerWorks Blog – more cool Minecraft things
- Deploying APIs built via Node.js to IBM Bluemix – more good BlueMix stuff
- Hack Your Pebble Steel to Control Your Raspberry Pi | Make: – cool. I have switched over to the Apple Watch, but I think the Pebble is still great, and as a bonus it is easily hackable.
- A programming language for living cells – fascinating.
- How I Built 180 Websites in 180 days and became a YC Fellowship Founder | The Zube Blog – also fascinating. Both worth reading
- All Systems z are Go: IBM ports Google language to mainframes – mainframes are going to be with us for some time to come yet.
- The Register RegExr: Learn, Build, & Test RegEx – a good way to practice Regular Expressions
- The Truth About DevOps: “IT Isn’t Dead; It’s Not Even Dying” – ReadWrite – of course IT isn’t dying.
- Getting started with Python on IBM Bluemix – Thoughts on Cloud – good, clear piece.
As I redo my place, I have found dozens of interesting links, mostly from the site Apartment Therapy. There’s lots of great ideas, tips, and other news from that site. Buzzfeed Home also has some good stuff, some of which you’ll find below. (The image is a link to the Cup of Jo website. It also has some great home decor ideas, among other things.)
Before & After: Budget Bathroom Upgrade | Apartment Therapy – it doesn’t take much to upgrade your bathroom, and if you want a manageable space to redo, this may inspire you to get going on this.
Furniture Finds: 10 bold and brilliant removable wallpapers – perfect for people who want the boldness of wallpaper, but also the ability to change your mind.
Renters Rejoice: Stylish Solutions to Your Most Common Design Woes | Apartment Therapy – if you are new to decorating, this is worthwhile
The Best Plug-in Sconces (No Electrician Needed!) | Apartment Therapy – like the wallpaper, this is another good idea for people who don’t want to commit.
31 insanely clever cleaning hacks for your messy home – before you decorate, you need to clean. Use this to get your going.
Decorating Mistakes First-Time Homeowners Make – Hither & Thither – more good advice for those starting off
Affordable Vintage Rugs – Best of Etsy – rugs make such a difference, but they can be very expensive. Use this to help with that.
5 Ways to Update Thrift Store Art | Apartment Therapy – original art is better, in my opinion, but if you have lots of walls and/or lots of thrift art you want to use up, check this out.
A Brief History of Memphis, The Design Group that Defined the Look of the 80s | Apartment Therapy – I don’t know if we will ever see a resurgence of the Memphis Design style, but in the 80s it was influential. Not everyone’s cup of tea, but interesting nonetheless.
The Kitchn’s Guide to Cleaning Your Small Electric Appliances — Cleaning Guides from The Kitchn | The Kitchn – more good cleaning advice.
A Bubbly Life: DIY Wooden Shoe Rack – this is a great, simple project for anyone. I am not sure how good it is to sit on, though. Be advised.
Small Design Details That Make a Big Impact | Apartment Therapy – a handful of good ways to simple ways to improve your living space
A First Apartment in Boerum Hill | A Cup of Jo – a great place. Lots of ideas to take away from here.
31 creative ways to hide eyesores around your home – good advice from Buzzfeed Home
31 insanely clever cleaning hacks for your messy home – good cleaning advice here
How to Make Vinegar Cleaning Spray (That Smells Good!) | The Kitchn – …and here
Grown-Up Versions of Your Favorite Teenage Decorating Trends (You Won’t Believe How Good They Can Look) | Apartment Therapy – ha! If you miss your old room, you can go back again…and reuse those ideas.
DIY Mid Century Modern Coffee Table (Under $50!) – Wonder Forest – another good DIY project. This one is especially good if you want to design a table that fits a particular place. Other than Ikea’s Lack table, you won’t find a cheaper one anywhere, save a garage sale.
25 Clever DIYs for Small Spaces | Apartment Therapy – more good do it yourself ideas.
Get the Warm Industrial Look on a Big Box Store Budget | Apartment Therapy – if you like that look, you can get it without shelling out big bucks at places like Restoration Hardware by reading this.
This is What It’s Really Like to Live in One of Those Tiny Houses | Apartment Therapy – intriguing.
Bright Ways to Beautify a Basic, Boring Bookcase | Apartment Therapy – more good ways to improve your house.
12 Useful & Beautiful Things You Can Do With Butcher Paper | Apartment Therapy – plus you can let your kids draw on the walls and not freak out. 🙂
7 Ways to Fill a Wall that Are as Useful as They Are Beautiful | Apartment Therapy – have a big wall? Here’s some good ideas to make it look great.
Then you want to read these two really good pieces on why it is brutally tough to get tickets to an event without paying a fortune:
What it comes down to is a very limited supply and a very high demand. But that’s obvious. Read the pieces to see just how it really plays out.