The Day One app is free right now and it’s great. Here’s nine reasons why I really like it
- Reason #1: it’s free. I always like free apps. But there are lots of free apps out there, so….
- Reason #2: it’s a great journalling tool. If you are like me, you spend more time capturing things digitally and less putting things on paper. And yet you don’t want to put everything out there for the entire world to see. Day One gives you that. It makes it easy to capture words and images and save them. For people like me who have good intentions of keeping a journal but never do because it is never handy, Day One is perfect. Let’s face it: your phone or tablet is always handy.
- It works on alot of different devices. Right now I have it on my iPad and iPhone. It also works on the Mac, too. Regardless of what device you have, you can update your Day One journal and it syncs up with the other devices.
- How does it sync up? Via the cloud, of course. Even better, it will also back things up to cloud storage, like Dropbox. I particularly like the Dropbox integration. All the photos you capture in Day One are there, as well as the text. And the nice thing for geeks like me is that the text is in XML format, so there are opportunities to hack around with that. You don’t have to touch it at all if you want, but that is a nice option. Even if you aren’t a geek, here are more reasons to get it…
- You can go back to previous days via a Calendar and update them. That way if you get busy but want to keep a comprehensive journal, you can. Or if you want to find out what you entered for a certain day, you can.
- You can use tags to get more out of your journal. For example, if you wanted to keep a fitness journal and a cooking journal, tag some of your entries fitness and others cooking and then you can access just those entries by the tag
- You can add your location and the current temperature to a post, too. Perfect if you were using Day One as a travel journal.
- It has password protection as well: so if you are sharing your device with your kids or others, you can prevent them from looking at your journal.
- Did I mention it is free? Yep, it is at the time I am posting it. But if you ever buy just one paper journal for travelling, work, or fitness…if you replace it with Day One, it will more than pay for the app.
Day One is free for a limited time right now. You can click here to see it in the App Store.
This entry was posted in apps
. Bookmark the permalink