I am a gently frustrated artist. I collect links and study them and try to use them to get me to make art, not always successfully.
Here are 29 art related links that I have found lately to be interesting and helpful to me. I hope they do the same for you:
- I liked this: A Closer Look at Frank Gehry’s House.
- This is beautiful: Mysterious and Deserted City at Night.
- This was cool I thought: Candid Murals by Street Artist Escif Cleverly Respond to Political Issues and Current Events.
- The wooden sculpture of Richard Scherr are amazing and worth a look.
- This was a really good piece on Norman Rockwell.
- Also great: the eyeless girls.
- Thank you David Bowie for this: on making art.
- Does art make a difference? Here’s a good essay on it: Why Art Fails to Make a Difference on Its Own: More Thoughts on Hans Haackes Urgently Relevant Survey at the New Museum .
- The endless debate: Is art dead? Nope.
- Agree with this: Why collage making is great.
- Yes to this: Make bad art. It’s a good thing.
- A good reminder: Why make art.
- In case you need it: More art making encouragement.
- Good stuff here: Advice for young artists.
- In case you need more encouragement: Make art even if you don’t like your output.
- Art making during the pandemic. Not surprising, some artists have been productive while others struggled.
- What Makes An Artist? David Hockney explains as only he can.
- One of my favorite artists: Gerhart Richter.
- This piece thinks Titian is controversial. I dunno. I think this argument is anachronistic.
- A Collector of Antiques Asks: Can Something Be Racist and Also Be Beautiful? Of course. Also somewhat anachronistic as an argument but less so, I think.
- Want to watercolor? Read this: Watercolors Made Simple.
- A cool way to make art: The Lyrical and Funny Art of Erasing Words From Books.
- MoMA’s Online Courses Let You Study Modern & Contemporary Art and Earn a Certificate. Worth considering.
- Got Poetry? Memorize it!
- Cartoonist Lynda Barry Teaches You How to Make a Visual Daily Diary . Lynda Barry is an inspirational teacher of art.
- Great advice: Keep calm and make ugly art.
- The goodness of Sickert. An artist you should get to know.
- Awesome: Behold the Newly-Discovered Sketch by Vincent van Gogh Sketch.
- I am a fan of Tom Gauld. Here’s a tweet that shows how to make a NewYorker cover. At least if you are Tom Gauld.
(Photo by dusan jovic on Unsplash )