Worth reading: Senior Citizens Are Replacing Teenagers as Fast-Food Workers – Bloomberg.
- the reasons to hire older workers for fast food places is also true for other work as well.
- the notion of retirement needs to be rethought. People are living lives well past traditional retirement ages, and some people retire involuntarily decades before they die. Additionally, many of them cannot afford to not work all that time. Having work and an income in their later years makes sense.
- Good work is uplifting. If you can find good work as you get older, you can find a way to make your later years more worthwhile.
An interesting article: Ben Schreckinger from Politico Did Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Workout. It Nearly Broke Him. If you want to see what the 80+ year old judge does to keep in shape, or be inspired to keep in shape yourself, I’d recommend reading it.
It can get too easy to forgo exercising when you get older. One reason people stop is because they think they are too old and cannot do it. Or if they do exercise, they will harm themselves. Her trainer cautions against that, and says:
“Do something. If you’re not doing anything then I advise you do something. It doesn’t matter what you do. You find out what is your niche and do something. Your body is made to move.”
Good advice. Maybe your fitness routine is long walks. Or cycling. Or yoga. Or benchpressing hundreds of pounds. Whatever you do, do something. And read the article. I hope it will inspire you to get fit. Whatever your age.
(Image linked to on Wikipedia)
According to this, you have two very good rules of thumb or models you can use to determine this:
1) The heuristic bi-linear model. We made this by making the best bi-linear model a bit simpler to apply.
If you’re under 85, your life expectancy is 72 minus 80% of your age.
Otherwise it’s 22 minus 20% of your age
2) The 50-15-5 model. This one asks you to remember some key values and then to interpolate between those values. It goes:
The life expectancies of 30, 70, 90 and 110 year olds are about 50, 15, 5, and 0.
For more, check out the link.