Bon Appétit has a rich list of articles and photos paying homage to red sauce restaurants in America. You likely know this type of joint. It has:
The oversize portions. The red-and-white-checked tablecloths. A carafe of the house red. Old-school Italian-American restaurants, a.k.a. red sauce joints, are the kind of institutions you’ll find, with very few deviations, in just about any city in America. But as we discovered upon reaching out to dozens of writers, chefs, and celebrities, these restaurants are about a lot more than a plate of penne alla vodka. Whether or not you’re Italian, red sauce likely means something to you—about family, or home, or history, or politics, or class, or citizenship, or selfhood, or otherness, or all the above, or a million other things. And that’s what this package is all about. Welcome to Red Sauce America.
For a feast of this type of dining, see here: Welcome to Red Sauce America – Bon Appétit.
I clearly collect too many food links. 🙂 These are some of the better ones I have found and think worth sharing.
- Mark Bittman used to write for the New York Times as The Minimalist. While he published lots of great articles, these three were among twenty five he thought were his best.
- If you want a stress free way to shop for the week’s groceries and have a meal plan all figured out for you, you need this: The 10-Ingredient Shopping Trip – The New York Times
- A great pasta not just for students and everyone on a budget: Sad Boy Pasta Is the Super Cheap Pasta for Everyone (Not Just Sad Boys | Bon Appetit
- I’m not a tuna melt fan but this might convert me: Tuna Melt Recipe – Bon Appétit Recipe | Bon Appetit
- I think we all need more soup, and out of 26 recipes you are bound to find some you like: 26 Light Soups that Press the Reset Button | Bon Appetit
- Likewise, if you find your meals blah, try one of these marinades: 15 Minimalist Marinades to Rescue Boring Weeknight Dinners | Bon Appetit
- A simple but not boring meal. Great for weekdays: A 5-Minute Chickpea Dinner Best Eaten On the Couch, by the TV | Bon Appetit
- Having a dinner party? Start with a cocktail: Simple cocktail recipes anyone can make – Business Insider
- Something for your guests to snack on when they arrive for your dinner party: Tempura Green Beans with Mushroom Salt and Shallot Dip Recipe | Bon Appetit
- Need some other things for guests to eat at the start of your dinner party? Some ideas: Here Are 8 Incredible Dips That Are Perfect For A Last Minute Party
- A good way to end a dinner party. Everyone likes a good cookie: Glazed Chocolate–Crème Fraîche Cookies Recipe | Bon Appetit
- A nice take on a comfort food. These are good enough to serve guests, or just treat you and your own: tomato-glazed meatloaves with brown butter mashed potatoes – smitten kitchen
- Try making your own flatbread. It’s not hard: Whole Wheat Flatbread – Bon Appétit Recipe | Bon Appetit
- There are alot of bad slow cooker recipes out there. These are the best. We Made And Ate The Most Popular Slow Cooker Dinners On Pinterest
- Simple enough for weekdays, good enough for guests: Swordfish Piccata Recipe – NYT Cooking
- Take your tomato sauce to another level with this recipe: Bucatini with Butter-Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe | Bon Appetit
- My son loves mozzarella sticks. I may have to make these: How to Make Mozzarella Sticks Without a Recipe
- If you are stuck for lunch ideas, try this: Make These Now, Pack Awesome Lunches All Week | Bon Appetit
- This recipe is great. I have used pork and chicken instead of shrimp and it has turned out great. Through in a handful of olives if you have them: it made it even better: Shrimp and feta with orzo – The Globe and Mail
- Another great dish from the Wavermans: Skillet roast chicken with veggies – The Globe and Mail
- Marinades are one way to liven up your meals. Sauces are another. Here are two ways to go about making them: All About Fond and How to Use it in Cooking and 3 Pan Sauces for Chicken
- Other than slow cookers, making dinner on a sheet pan is also pretty easy. Just keep an eye on it: How to Make Dinner on a Sheet Pan
- Not so easy, but if you are up for it, here’s a simpler but not easy way to make your own puff pastry: All Hail “Rough Puff,” Puff Pastry for Cheaters | Bon Appetit
Image from: Slow Cooker Bread Recipe | Baked by an Introvert
Posted in food, globeandmail.com
Tagged bonappetit, buzzfeed, chicken, cooking, dinnerparty, food, links, meals, recipes, slowcook, slowcooker, tomatoes, tomatosauce