Here’s two takes on Twitter worth reading for anyone still fascinated by Twitter as a company:
- What Good Is Twitter? – The Atlantic.
- Twitter Is in Danger of Becoming the Bing of Social Media | WIRED.
My take on Twitter?
- Twitter is gunning for revenue growth. They are sinking any profit they make into research in order to continue to grow revenue wise. It works for Amazon, so maybe it will work for twitter.
- As they try and ramp up their revenue growth, they are cleaning up their act and acting quicker against trolls. I’d like to think it is because they are more concerned about users, but it is just as likely that they have decided trolls are bad for business
- New user growth is flat. I am not surprised. I barely get new users following me, and if you think about it, the same is likely true for you.
- Interaction is dying off. I still get a fair amount of interaction, thankfully. But it is much less than it used to be. Based on some recent analysis, that seems to be the case across the board, even if you are famous. Person A tweets: Person B responds, and at most, Person A favours Person B’s tweet. I believe Twitter is becoming less of a social community and settling into being just a microblogging platform.
- I think Tweetstorms are terrible, still.