While this article, What You Can Control at The Simple Dollar, is financially oriented, it really contains wisdom you can use in general. While this wisdom is obvious once you read it, most of us lose sight of this from time to time. Go remind of yourself of it by reading the article.
While I recommend reading the whole article, but here are some points I pulled from it:
- You can’t control the actions of others
- You can control how you respond to the actions of others
- You can’t control natural forces
- You can control how you prepare for the possibility of natural forces
- You can’t control big expenses, especially unexpected ones.
- You can control how you prepare for those unexpected expenses
When it comes to things completely outside of your control, it’s not very beneficial to you to exert time, energy, emotion, or focus on those things.
In general, actions based on emotion in response to something you can’t control are awful choices.