Here’s some links on fitness and physical health that are not typical. For example, I Did 340 Pushups a Day to Prepare for the TV Version of Prison. Then I Got There. Reading about this: Emily Ratajkowski‚Äôs New Book Tests The Limits Of Self-Awareness got me thinking about this Dear Younger Me: Lauren Fleshman. Sometimes we push yourselves from the extremes of one form of unhealthiness to another. You may think these Sample Menus for a 1 200 Calorie Diet can help you lose weight, but if so you should read this: 1 200 Calories a Day Is a Starvation Diet Actually, you may change your mind.
I still think carrying a lot of weight is unhealthy. As did this father: He Struggled to Play With His Daughter So He Turned to the Couch to 5K App to Lose Weight. Find your own level and continually move in the healthier direction.
If you use a fitbit, read this: How Many Steps Do You Really Need Each Day? If you are in the market for one, check this out: Your Fitbit Can Now Let You Know Whether You Snore. If you are looking for new shoes, consider these: Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next Nature Running Shoe via Uncrate.
(Image via Uncrate)
It’s fall and it’s a pandemic, but gyms are opening wide up and no doubt you (and I) want to get some of our fitness back. Here’s eight links I’ve found recently that could help:
(Photo by Jonathan Borba on Unsplash )
It seems ridiculous to say that, but it really is simple (but not easy): eat 2000 calories daily and walk 10000 steps. To see what I mean, read these two articles:
- ‘The Good News About What’s Bad for You’ Junk Food Diet – Bon Appétit | Bon Appetit
- How Fit Can You Get From Just Walking? | GQ
In both of them, the people who lost weight ate about 2000 calories a day. I mean the guy in the first one literally lived on junk food and still lost 11 pounds in a month.In the second one, the people participating walked 10000 steps as well as ate around 2000 calories. The combination will get you fit and keep you in a calorie deficit mode that will cause your body to lose weight.
For more examples of that, see this (Fixing His Diet Helped This Guy Lose 100 Pounds and Get Shredded at 50) and this (Walking For Weight Loss – How to Lose Weight by Walking) and this (Apple Watch, New Year’s resolutions, and losing 50 pounds – 9to5Mac).
Is it easy? For most people, no. Do you have to be disciplined? Yes. Is there ways to go about it that are smarter than others? Certainly.
If you need motivation, read this: You’re ‘Prediabetic’? Join the Club – The New York Times. Why? You might think: I am fine with being overweight. And that’s ok: not everyone looks like a model. But you don’t want to be diabetic if you can help it.
P.S. 2000 calories is a guide. If you are a much smaller person, you might need a smaller number of calories. If you aren’t sure, consult your doctor.
(Photo by Diana Polekhina on Unsplash )
The good people of Cooking Light have put together an nice infographic on this: Here’s a Handy Way to Understand Healthy Serving Sizes – Cooking Light.
Now you might find some of them weird (one small baked potato is the size of a hamster) or outdated (an ipod nano…really?) but most of them are relevant and very useful if you are working hard to control how much you eat.
Like most people — for instance, me — , you may need to get in better shape. In doing some research on it, I came across the following links that I found interesting, inspiring, and useful. I hope you do too:
- If you need to reboot your life, consider what Wil Wheaton did recently: Seven Things I Did To Reboot My Life
- If you need to lose weight and keep it off, you will want this: Surprisingly simple tips from 20 experts about how to lose weight and keep it off – Vox
- Some good examples of people who lost serious weight are: Chris Pratt’s Workout and Diet Plan Revealed! 60 Lb Weight Loss!
- And here: I lost 100 pounds in a year. My “weight loss secret” is really dumb. – Vox
- And here: Data Helped Me Lose 100 Pounds | New Republic
- If you are a runner and run in the winter, this article is a must (Canadians know how to run in the winter: ignore most of those American links) Gear of the week: Features of 2016 winter apparel – Canadian Running Magazine
- If you want to take up running and do a race but can’t decide which one, read this: Lauren Fleshman Tells Pro and Cons of 26.2 Versus 5K | Oiselle Running Apparel for Women
- If you want to start exercising but find it difficult, this can help: We make exercise way too complicated. Here’s how to get it right. – Vox
- If part of the reason you can’t get in shape is bad habits, you need this: A Brief Guide to Quitting a Bad Habit : zen habits
- If you need inspiration, here’s a great story of a woman who took up marathon running late but to great success. Race Against Time — The Cauldron — Medium
- And another great story about how endurance sports made a big difference in someone’s life: Sink or Swim: How the Ironman saved Lionel Sanders from himself | Toronto Star
- Finally, some perspective, both humourous, Find The Thing You’re Most Passionate About, Then Do It On Nights And Weekends For The Rest Of Your Life – The Onion – America’s Finest News Source and amazing: Two 90-year-olds do the 100 meter dash